Subject: [Leica] Negative Fading, was Chromogenic nightmares
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:27:53 -0500

The problem with color negatives is that the dyes fade unevenly.  I think
that it is the yellow layer that fades the fastest.  That is why old film
looks purple.  I'm told by people in the movie film restoraton business that
with modern technology and a good guess as to the colors in the original
that even badly faded negative film can be used to create new printing
materials.

Interestingly the old method of preserving movies, creating silver
separations, is not as valuable as first thought.  The b&w record of the
three color images does not fade, but the film base shrinks making
registration difficult.

Mike Durling
KD4KWB
http://www.widomaker.com/~durling/