Subject: Re: [Leica]Konica Hexar...It ain't no Leica..
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:38:35 -0600

Dante, it just goes to show that handling is a subjective thing...But I do
have one concern.  Why is a a Konica HexarRF, made in Japan, with electronic
shutter and some fairly standard specs and no TTL, worth as much or more
than a Nikon F100?  The profit margin for Konica has to be tremoundous!
<<<<<<<<<<

Without getting into whether the Hexar RF is overpriced (having not handled
one yet I have no opinion on that), I doubt Konika's profit margin is
tremendous.

To take the F100 analogy a step further, current serial numbers suggest the
F100 has been selling at well over 10,000 units per month since its
introduction. I seem to remember reading that the Konica is limited to 500
units per month. Assuming I have these numbers correct, there's a pretty
substantial economy of scale working towards the F100's advantage. Compared
to an F100, I'd expect the Hexar RF to cost more.

More interesting to me is the approach Nikon may be taking to introducing a
rangefinder, if rumors recently posted to this list prove correct. That is,
first introducing a limited run resurrected S5 at a substantial price, then
releasing a more commercially-priced rangefinder. Makes me wonder if Nikon
is covering the bulk of what must be considerable rangefinder design and
tooling expenses with a collector's camera first, so the later rangefinder
can be sold at a reasonable price.

Larry