Subject: Re: [Leica] Winograd film
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:55:35 +0000

on 17/2/00 9:27 pm, Mike Johnston at michaeljohnston@ameritech.net wrote:

> when he died? Wasn't it something like 6,000, or am I completely off
> base?
>
> David<<<
>

> About 9,000. They were developed under the direction of John Szarkowski
> of MoMA using a grant from Springs Industries.
>
> --Mike

Did they dev & con all of them? I seem to remember that they only got part
way through. There's a reference to the mind-numbing process of combing
through the contact sheets in the FIGMENTS monograph, but they guy only went
through a thousand or so, I think. Which leaves... well, just imagine.

The disintegration of Winogrand's photographic style has always fascinated
me. There's a great PhD there for someone. If no-one gets there first, one
day I would like to write a Winogrand biography, and set out to answer the
question of just what happened.

I have my theory, which I've stated before, which is that Winogrand's
photography-as-visual-research project, once cut free of the feedback loop
of actually looking at your pictures, left the road and disappeared into the
desert like a trucker asleep at the wheel.

- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk