Subject: Re: [Leica] In/admissable
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:22:26 +0000

Guy Bennett wrote:

> if you ever have the opportunity to study soviet, nazi, or maoist art, you
> may come to the conclusion, as many have, that the accessible depiction of
> 'common truths that cross time and culture,' as you put it, does not
> necessarily result in good art, nor do formal or intellectual qualities
> necessarily result in bad. they are just two different approaches to a
> single problem: human expression. and even if you still don't accept that
> an art that does not seek to respond to social realities can still be
> genuine and move millions - even if that excludes you - perhaps you will at
> least be a less dogmatic about it.

Sure.  I do have some familiarity to what you speak of, including
Russian history, but the "art" you speak of really had more in common
with propaganda.  The feel-good commercials on American TV are similar
works of "art."  Some very powerful.  All designed to make you behave
properly in commercial culture:  BUY.

Hey, I make much of my living in advertising.  It's my day job.  But I
don't think this has much to do with what I am talking about.

Intellectual art is alive and well.  And if intellectual appreciation is
what does it for you, how can I argue?  It doesn't for me.  I started
University to study literature, but chanced across books by Magnum
photographers and the power of that work changed the course of my life.
Even in reading I prefer the more journalistic authors such as Hemingway
or Phillip Caputo over the Joyces or Barths.  Indeed, I found that a
scholarly view of literature ruined my appreciation.  I'm more fond of
storytellers.

And it is not "social realities" that moves me.  It is appreciation of
the magic of living.  My favorite all time photo is Werner Bischolf's
Peruvian flute player.  Everytime I see that photo I just laugh with joy
inside, even after all these years.  Simple.  Direct.  Full of life.

Is it art?  I couldn't care less.  It reminds me not of how special it
is to think, but of how wonderous it is to be alive.

cheers,

donal

- --
Donal Philby