Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Eggleston shells as compost-for Jim Brick-against
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:12:21 -0700

I think your response to Eggleston's work is entirely reasonable and
reasoned. I respect that. Art is not a test to passed or failed. Everyone's
tastes and preferences differ. I do not care for some of Eggleston's work as
well. Taken as a whole I find it very interesting and moving. If I had $4500
spare, I probably would not buy one of his images. I would buy film and a
faster 35mm lens. What I have been trying to point out, and others have more
successfully, is that it is not "crap". Many people post their web pages on
this list and I look at them all; a few I find very moving, some I like and
some I do not care for. I would never say disparaging things about someone's
work. Calling someone's work "crap" tells me more about the critic than the
work in question.

John Collier