Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital darkroom -- I stand corrected (a little)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:25:56 -0800

Andrew Moore wrote:

> Having just asked to be enlightened as to how to make a digital
> print that compares to conventional ones, I cam across some Epson
> glossy photo paper that I picked up with my printer last November,
> but which I had completely forgotten about.  I printed an image at
> 720 dpi, scanned from a color slide, and THAT looks better!
>
> I'll try the same with B&W (maybe printed as both RGB and B&W)
> just to see how close that comes to the darkroom print.  I'm amazed
> at the difference in the matte vs. glossy paper.  I guess I'll need to
> stock up on some of this paper.

I don't like the glossy with inkjet stuff. For my tastes the mat stuff is what
inkjet is all about.
And It offers something in that respect that we don't get from Regular black and
white photographs.
That mat stuff in regular photography (silver prints) just compresses your scale
and dulls you blacks.
In platinum you can get away with it more but that's even less accessible.
Mark Rabiner