Subject: RE: [Leica] That Grump again
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 22:32:19 -0500

>>>Right, but they supposedly aren't as optically good as the second
version<<<

Heh! Funny, isn't it, how the products that the company is trying to
sell currently somehow get reassuring comments circulated about them?

[Austin] Do you have any information that says the first versions are any
better?  I take it you don't believe Erwin is correct in his assessment
that the 2nd version is optically better because of only one aspherical
surface?

Dan C has offered to test the two out, if someone wants to send him a 2nd
version....but until then, all one can do is speculate...

I'll put my money (or at least less of it, that is ;-) on the later version
for now...until it's proven via some reasonable tests, not just random
drive by shootings, that if I spend over 2x the money I'll get superior
results...if it ends up they're the same, to me, it isn't worth the extra
dough...