Subject: [none]
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 08:05:20 +0100

BD wrote:
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:22:02 -0000
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [Leica] Colour photography (was Eggleston)

Rob- As has been said here more than once, with black and white you see the
subject; with color you see the subject's clothing.

And so I said:
BD, this sounds to me like the kind of cliché that bars the door to
actually seeing. It's very neatly put and therefore sounds definitive. I
think that you see (both when taking pictures and when looking at them)
what you are open to see, and if you think and work in colour then your
results (in any area of photography) can be as rich and unsuperficial as
any B+W.
However, your answer (nota bene, I'm not calling you a schmuck, or B+W
garbage) does exemplify the cultural bias in favour of B+W as somehow
telling the truth while colour is solely decorative. And this is a bit
unfortunate for those of us who genuinely see even "serious" subjects in
colour.
best regards,
Rob.
Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow