Subject: [Leica] But don't go too far
From: "Eno" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:27:56 -0500

<<<I love when a fella has the get up and go to speak the truth.  Like damn
the torpedos, full steam ahead!>>>

But is it OK for me to say:

- -(1)(I'm not in this position), but I think cameras in courtrooms should all
be hit with the gavel.
- -(2)HCB's pics are for the most part- bad. Go ahead and argue with yourself
and the 'books' that control your opinions.Or Maybe  Bad is good because
that's the only way to be artsy! People get all bent out of shape over these
'Masters'...  I have as many "WHAT!?"s when I see his stuff as I do with the
pink and purple waterfalls of PC national park. I like this one from HCB and
this one from YOU and I put them in a basket. If it is "saying something
about life" is irrelevant.  If it's something that I am interested in
looking at, good, and that can be all sorts of things.

(3)Black and white is EASY!  Yes, you can take a crap picture and pass it of
easier than a color one!  You may say no, color is distracting from the
photo and it's not so good but it's colorful so people are fooled, the color
is a superficial attraction..  That's called going out of one's way to be
artsy.  Like the 'enlightened' philosophers who spent centuries asking "is
the color 'in' the chair?  is it a secondary quality?  what is essential to
the object as a primary quality?"  Damn the chair is red. (e.g. Descartes
the Dummy Locke the Lollipop Hume the Humorous -  and then Mr. Ludwig
Wittgenstein says that the "red chair" is a single meaning learned in
context.  So no point in taking things apart that are apriori together) Then
post-modernism 'got all farmisht and  took that into an artsy lifestyle and
guess what - THESE are the trends! The 'revolutions' which ultimately fade
away.
 (4).  I wonder why so many are buying these newer gen. lenses and then
shooting 3200.  And they wonder why there's no difference!  Or they insist
there is none. B/W keeps one from taking snapshots like everyone else.  Eat
some jolly jell-O - try the black and white stuff.  Kids would love that...
Or a clown in B/W - that would spoil the kids' birthday parties! But the
obsession is "making a statement" and this is what is BS.  Going out of
one's way to see what's in front of them.

(4)Judge a picture by a picture.  I like that this I don't.  If someone
needs to verbalize and 'teach' me what the photograph 'really' means than it
has failed to communicate properly to me as a - photograph (not to mean what
the meaning and context is - I'm referring to some obscure principle that is
only fathomed by those who ask themselves all day what is the purpose of
everything what does it mean to me...)-.  The test?  It looks good!  that's
plenty - some of the time anyway.  this can mean anything -  but it keeps
one from falling into the pit of liking something because it should be liked
or a variation of the same.

So what's the shtick?
Nothing.  I apologize for any indirect insults and YES I do like HCB and
B/W.  It just can go all sorts of ways.