Subject: [Leica] Riddle of measurement scales
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:47:12 +0000

>>>Classifications are based on dividing lines, and so PopPhoto
and CdI  will tell you that a resolution of 30 l/mm ot CdI: an MTF of
30%) qualifies as good and a resolution of 31 l/mm (31%) as very
good. Now this is ridiculous, No one can see the difference between
the 30 and 31 lines or the 30 and 31% contrast transfer. But it is a
logical consequence of their methodology and therefore it is not a
good one. As I do not know when reading the CdI qualification if the
difference of 'good' versus 'very good' is a small borderline
difference or a big one (high end and low end of both classes) I am
at a loss how to interpret the results<<<

So true. This has long been one of my objections too. With  _POP's_
"SQF" you can see that a 94.9 will not get an "A" whereas a 95.1 will!!
This fine a distinction is almost certainly finer than sample variation
(with most makes of lenses) and probably finer than degree of error in
the testing eqipment (? I don't know this for sure). And yet it results
in different classifications.

- --Mike