Subject: Re: [Leica] Cosina vs Leica (glass)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 17:38:28 EST

 The tests of the Ultron, Nokton and Color-Heliar versus the equivalent Leica
lenses confirm my opinions of these lenses. Both the Nokton and the
Color-Heliar have become fixtures on my cameras. The Nokton on a M6HM and the
Color-Heliar on a M6TTL 0,85. The Ultron 35/1,7 I have an ergonomic problem
with, it has a strange (to me) barrel, very thick in the back portion and
then tapered towards the front. It is a little larger than I want my 35 to
be. I have the 35/1,4 Asph and although big and clumsy, it is a spectacular
performer, so when I need a fast 35, that's what I use. For "normal" shooting
I tend to stick with the 35/2 Summicron (3rd generation) or the 35/2 Asph.
The Ultron is somehow left hanging between these choices. Performance wise it
is no slouch though. As good as the 3rd generation Summicron (and that is
high praise) and, apart from wide-open, close enough to be used instead of a
35/2 Asph. Of course, if I was using a lot of LTM cameras, the Ultron would
be a good choice as it allows you to adapt a new, high quality lens to these
older designs.  The new 35/2,5 Color-Heliar is more ergonomically correct for
my style of shooting, very quick focus and, although a bit softer than the
35/2 wide-open, an extremely competent performer across the board.
 The Nokton is the 50 high-speed lens to beat. It is very good and fully
usable wide-open. The "double"-Aspheric design gives a nice "snap" to
wide-open shots. It is lightweight compared to the 50/1,4 Summilux and a bit
more compact. It works very well on a M2 or M3 but on the IIIF/IIIG the
barrel is intruding a bit in the finder (but so would a Summilux 50 in
screwmount). Combine the Nokton with a M2 and the 1:1 finder 50mm finder from
Voigtlander and you have a "street shooting camera" second to none.
 The 75/2,5 is a lightweight alternative to the 75/1,4 Summilux. It's
performance is not up to the 75/1,4, but we are also looking at $400 (and the
facility to use this lens on a LTM camera) and $2000+ as well as 250 grams
versus 600 grams. The 75/1,4 Summilux is in my opinion one of the milestone
lenses in the Leica lens system and when you need that speed, there is no
substitute. It is heavy and you certainly are aware of the fact that you are
shooting with a fast lens. It requires a steady hand and a perfect focusing
ability to get the most out of it, but when it works, watch out! The 75/2,5
is a different lens altogether. It is small, short and comfortable. It gives
you a bit more reach than the 50 and is very handy. I always bemoaned the
lack of a small, light lens in the 75mm length in Leica's program and I
lobbied for years to get Leica to produce the 75/2,4 APO (a rare military
lens) for M-users. The 75/2,5 might not be APO, but it is certainly sharp and
contrasty enough for any application. It has a slight softness wide-open that
makes it very pleasant as a portrait lens, enough depth of field to focus on
the eyes and get the nose sharp too. You can also get a great bright line
finder for it from Voigtlander/Cosina.
 As for the Cosina's know-how on glass manufacturing. They are one of the
premium manufacturers of glass in Japan as well as being the foremost
manufacturer of Aspherical elements for the Japanese camera industry. Most of
the other manufacturers order the Aspherical elements from Cosina and put
them in their lenses, even some of the biggest names and most renowned lenses
from these companies have Cosina Aspherical elements in them! This is a very
Japanese way of doing thing, rather than trying to invent the wheel in every
factory, they will buy the needed pieces from someone who already knows how
to do it and who can supply the material to what ever specifications the user
need. Most of the Japanese camera industry is more of a Quality Control and
assembly function and a fair bit of the parts come from small and medium
sized subcontractors. There are only a couple of companies in Japan that cut
lens focussing helicoils and they supply most of the camera manufacturers,
the same thing goes for rangefinder parts. Cosina looked carefully at the
Leica CL and CLE finders for their Bessa-R. The basic design was good but
they also added stuff like better frames, higher contrast etc. They simply
made use of improvements that have occurred in the last 20-30 years and
applied it. This allows them to be very competitive when it comes to pricing
as well as use design parameters that takes into account what the sub
contractor is making. Quite often the subcontractor, who is an expert in the
field, can suggest improvements and cost cutting measures that in the end
benefit both the product and us, the consumer.
 A perfect example of this "parts" camera is the Hasselblad X-pan/Fuji-TX-1.
If you look closely at the camera, you recognize parts from Contax G series,
from Canon and several other cameras. The unique parts are chassi, covers and
the rangefinder magnification system. The shutter is a Copal; electronics
look very much like the ones in the Bessa-R and exposure compensation,
LC-displays etc could be dropped into a Nikon F5/Canon EOS or Minolta 9
without looking out of place. Considering that the X-Pan sells for just about
what a M6 with 50/2 costs (and for that you get 2 lenses), it proves that
this way of manufacturing works.
 There is also an inherent Japanese tradition of making small productions.
They do recognize that not everybody wants everything and if you build a
small run of something, you have to price it so that you get the costs back
and make a profit. Case in point is the Ricoh 28/2,8, the 21/2,8 and the
Minolta 28/3,5 as well as the Konica 60/1,2 and 50/2,4 lenses. These were
built in small series (in case of the 60/1,2, only 800 made) and sold out
quickly. Neither of the manufacturer lost money on these products although
most likely they did not make huge profits either, but the product name was
kept "alive: in the camera magazines and discussed among the optical experts.
The Konica Hexar RF is a similar case, if it is not a sales success, it will
probably stay around for a while, Konica will sell enough to recoup
investment and then drop it. The more I see of the Japanese manufacturers,
the more impressed I am. Look at the car industry there. They build and sell
the Figaro (a 1950's retro sports car, complete with a Fiat Topolino type
top, white plastic knobs on a 50's style radio, which of course also can play
CD's!), the S-Cargo, a small city type delivery van, cute and practical, the
Nissan chassi and 2/3 sized Jaguar 3,4 Mark II looking sedan etc. I get the
feeling that they actually are enjoying themselves in their design
departments!
When it comes to Cosina/Voigtlander, this is the pet-project of Mr.
Kobayashi, the President of Cosina. He likes Voigtlander cameras and also
Leica's. he could not find a Snap-Shot Elmar (a prototype lens made in the
30's) so he had his team design the 25/4 Snap-Shot Skopar. He thought the
Hologon was overpriced and under-performed so he had the 15/4,5 Heliar
designed. There was a bit of a slowdown in sales of Nikon FM-10/ Olympos 2000
cameras (which Cosina built under contract to Nikon and Olympos), so he had
that one redesigned to be a modern 1G, but with a built in meter! The Bessa-R
is the same thing, Cosina is building all these LTM lenses and it would be
fun to make a rangefinder camera that fits them, but with modern
meter/shutter technology. I am deeply envious of him, imagine having a camera
factory and a premium optical manufacturing facility at your disposal and the
position to have them build your dream cameras or lenses. The mind boggles at
the prospect!
Tom A