Subject: [Leica] you never forget your first Leica [was: The M3 Rules]
From: GERALD HAUSSLER <GHAUSSLE@email.usps.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:01:48 -0600

     all;
     time to de-lurk and weigh in. i bought my first leica in '74 from
     adolf gasser. M3 DS complete w/ a 50 summicron, it took me 6 months
     to pay it off.($275) i still have it, i still use it, i still love
     it. although, admitedly, the lions share of the work goes to the
     trio of M4 MOT's, one of which is 'test driving' tom A's rapid
     winder. (what a gem !) can't help but like the canted rewind knob &
     newer loading, _but_ i still '2-stroke' the film advance & use
     external finders for open eye shooting even on lenses longer than 28.
     i was in keeble & shukat not too long ago & held a used M6. price
     was right, but it didn't feel that great [& i didn't care for the
     sound ;) ] more than half of my shooting is on stage, so the inboard
     metering doesn't buy me anything. having used a IIIf, i found the
     viewfinder too 'squinty'. put black enamel, canted rewind knob &
     quick load on an M3 and you've really got something ! i think it's
     called an M4M ;)
     my .02

     best
     jerry haussler
     p.s. besides, i always thought older was better ;)