Subject: Re: [Leica]M3 Rules
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:32:28 -0600

Dear LUGgers,  one reason I like my M3 best is the fact that it has
stronger springs in the bayonet, and a guard around the lens release.  I
tried using an M2R here at my office, and twice almost lost a lens when my
finger brushed the button.  I can trust the M3 to hold onto the lens.  I
haven't had this happen with our M4, but I still like the extra security of
the guard.

I agree with some of the other comments about "feel".  To me no other model
has the smoothness and solidity of the M3. I've tried to carry around the
M4, but always come back.(My favorite lenses are 50 mm and 90 mm anyway)
Lack of meter doesn't bother me, especially in b&w.  I use a separate meter
even when using the Canon EOS 1.

Another thing I do is use the tip of a old wooden broom shaft with a 1/4 20
thread as a handle for candid shooting.  I had a woodworker friend fix this
up for me; it's about 5" long.  I saw an article years ago on Gene Smith's
love of handles, so I tried it; works great and it's cheap.

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Univ. of Wis.-Milwaukee
Photo Service