Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica M lens is your favorite?
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:14:44 +0100

My all time favorite Leica lens must be the Summicron 50, especially the version before the current(1979-1994). The focusing lever is much nicer to use than the current type. And the plastic lens shade is easily replaced by the metal 12585-type. My present sample is also engraved "1913-1983", nice!
This lens is quite exceptional in sharpness and contrast, no matter what F/stop that is used. B/W, color or slow slide film, you will always be impressed by the outstanding quality. It is also one of Leica's cheapest lenses to buy new.

The other day I was looking at some (25 years old) Kodachrome 24 slides from Paris. These were shot with the Summicron DR and my old M2. I was amazed by the quality at F/4-5,6, in fact this 1960:s lens still beats the hell out of most modern non-Leica lenses!

Another lens, that can be bought relatively cheap today is the Summicron 35/2 (4th version). Several 100$ cheaper than the Summilux non-asph or the present asph versions, it delivers pictures of very high quality. This is also a favorite lens of mine, because it gives so much for relatively little money.
I still have this lens, although I also have the Summicron 35 asph. I bought the asph, because I wanted as good picture quality at F/2.0-2.8, as I get with the Summicron 50. This was a lot of money for a small advantage, but never mind. The investment was made, because IMO, the 50 and 35mm lenses are the most important in the M-system.
I use them 80% of the time (the remaining 20% is split between 21 and 90mm).

Hans