Subject: [Leica] M3 loading & other modifications
From: Evilboy <BernardDelgado@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:54:17 -0800 (PST)

from the digest:

                                                        Date: Tue, 22 Feb
2000 06:58:06 -0500
                                                        From: "Andrew Moore"
<moore@rscs.net>
                                                        Subject: [Leica] Can
the M3 loading mechanism be modified?

                                                        Is it possible to
replace the M3's loading system with one
                                                        from the M4, M6,
etc.?

                                                        Please, no "xxx
is/is not easy to load" wars.
- ------------------------------
I have a friend who said that SHerry did this modification for him.
I believe RMueller in Canada can do it as well.

This brings me to another question.
LAst year I was at a Leica day at a local camera shop. I asked about making
an M3 accept a winder & they said it couldnt be done. LAter Sherry told me
that if someone had the right parts it could be done. In a magazine article
on theMP it said there were rare factory conversions of the M3 into an
MPstyle camera.
Then I found out that it is no problem at all to have RMueller modify the M3
to accept TA's Rapidwinder.

What other types of fabulous conversions are possible? Does anyone want to
brag about some sort of custom job they had done?
Recently a friend sent me a Jpeg of a conversion that blew my mind. An M3
converted to accept a leicavit & redone MP style film counter. Then the
selftimer was gutted & an M6J viewfider & meter were installed. Finally it
was painted black. REMARKABLE.
What other impossible beauties are out there?

Also, I'll pose a question. Now that used M6 are more common, Would it be a
better idea to put an M3 viewfinder in a used M6 & have the convenience of
the loading & winder couplings? Or would you rather go to all the trouble of
having an M3 converted to take a winder?

- -Bernard"paint it black"DelGado

"Time is the Fire we Burn in"

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com