Subject: Re: [Leica] a simple request
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:00:02 -0800

Guy Bennett wrote:
> p.s. a quick leica question: could a tiny scratch on the inner glass
> surface of a filter (an a36 orange clamp-on filter to be used on an 3.5 elmar 50) effect picture quality? the one i just bought on ebay - announced with "perfect" glass - has a tiny scratch and i'm wondering if i should send it back or just live with it.>>>>>

G'day Guy,

Two things here.

If e-bay gave it 100% perfect and it isn't, I'd want compensation or
return for a refund.

Or if this is merely a very light surface scratch only seen when looking
along the surface, but not when looking through the filter, I'd forget
it. Put it on the camera and burn film, you are not going to see
anything. Period. Period. Period!!!

Example:  I was dumb enough to work too close to an arc welder one time,
"Hey close is better, right?"  Using an R28 2.8 on an R4 when a spark of
slag landed right on the lens, burned a zit in the glass surface. Talk
about PANIC!!!!

Well nothing happened, you couldn't see anything on Kodachromes, B&W or
colour neg films, even stopped down to f.16.  So you are not going to
see a scratch on the filter.

It's an ethical selling point here, if you feel the scratch is big
enough to have been seen without any turning and angling to the light,
then it would be fair to ask for a cut in the cost if you really need
the filter. Or send it back simply because it was sold under false
advertising. Your call.
ted