Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Secret to photographing wildlife
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:44:42 -0000

The editors must have known that I didn't
spend a month climbing around looking for snakes. I had photographs to
support the article three days after I receved the assignment. I don't
recall any discussion of how I got the photographs. We were all very busy
and under a tight deadline.

Should there
have been some sort of  disclaimer in the caption like "this was not a live
snake"? My appologies if  this  question sounds ludicrous or if it's too
far off topic. I'm just curious what people think about this.
David

David - Since you're curious and ask...

Not to seem like a "holier than thou" prig, but I think you are ABSOLUTELY
under the most basic of ethical obligations to inform the editor that you
used a prop, rather than a live snake. The editor can then decide how to
label the photograph - how about "Photo Illustration By..."

I don't see anything wrong with doing what amount to photo illustrations,
but I believe that they MUST be labeled as such. To do otherwise is to
perpetrate a visual fraud, which I know you had no intention of doing.

B. D.