Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Secret to photographing wildlife
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:30:26 +0000

drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:

> I photographed stuffed snakes to support an editorial piece.

A friend, Tom Carroll, recently told me of getting a call from a
prospective client  (Seagull Oil?) wanting a seagull standing on a post
by the ocean with an oil rig in background.  Tom asks exactly how does
he want it?  Well, wings up active maybe some other birds in back ground
would be nice.  Tom, say sure, got it, send it too you tomorrow.  He
goes down to friend's taxidermy shop and gets a seagull he remembered,
takes friend along and heads for beach in LA area where the oil rigs are
close.  They set the stuffed seagull up on a post, shoot the shot, looks
pretty good but not many gulls behind.  Taxedermist says, You want more
seagulls?  Sure.  Taxidermists bends the wings in a certain way and
gulls come flying.  Tom gets great shots of Seagull on post, gulls and
rig behind.  Sends the client one frame.  Client stunned, paid bill, ran
ad.  Only ten years later did he tell client he used a stuffed bird with
wings bent in the matting call position.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego