Subject: Re: [Leica] Tromsoe LUG of Norway Symposium
From: "Rick Floyd" <rick_floyd@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:39:55 -0500

Otto said in part:
<<It seems to me that to really
appreciate what the R8 is all about you have to rent or borrow one for a
week or two. To just handle it in a shop is not enough. You need a quiet
environment to listen to its sounds (or lack of sounds). It must be shaken
to find out that it does not rattle. It must be brought into the cold to
find out that it will ignore it. It must be used to find out that it just
flows along. >>

Otto:

I agree.  I think the best marketing program Leica has had was a couple of
years ago when you could borrow a M6 or R(?) with a lens for a week.  It was
this very program that got me to try the M6 and finally purchase one.  When
I first tried an R8, I dismissed it easily because it didn't have auto-focus
and seemed too large for my hand.  Every time there is an event day, I try
it over and over again.  I'm finding it more and more appealing and want to
try one with the 180 for sports - both indoor and outdoor soccer.

After I finish my M6 aquisitions (like that will really happen), I am going
to examine it in detail.

Best,
Rick