Subject: [Leica] Getting B&W film processed and printed (in Germany) ?
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de (Hans-Peter.Lammerich)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:04:44 +0100

Who can recommend a mail order lab in Germany or Europe for B&W processing and
proof (prove?) printing? I am interested in Tri-X / HP5, eventually T Max /
Delta 400, but I will make the final choice of film dependent on what the lab
will do best rather than insisting on a particular film!

Yes I know XP2 / T Max 400 CN. I even tried XP2 and liked the results, but I
want to give a chance to the "classic" looks of Tri-X / HP5 and its proofed
(proved?) archival quality ! I know that it is generally recommeded to develop
B&W at home, but I believe that, at least in theory, a well maintained,
automated bulk processor should be able to do better.

A few times I send Ilford HP5 to a consumer lab (through "Pro-Markt", "Saturn",
my local dealer etc.). They still take it, but turnover time is 4 to 5 working
days rather than 1 o 2 for C-41. In comparison to my results at home with
Tetenal Ultrafin liquid or Ilford ID-11, the negs came out darker, with higher
contrast and more grain. Rating the HP5 at ASA 640 or 800 rather than 400 may
adjust density and contrast to my taste, but will not reduce the grain. On the
other hand, with the exception of the visible grain, the prints looked
surprisingly well. Therefore I am even tempted to try a T-Max or Delta 400 at a
consumer lab! But I figure that most consumer labs soup all incoming B&W film
for the same time in the same developer which is selected for yield rather than
quality.

Hans-Peter