Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon S3 war
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:36:51 +0000

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 09:42 AM 2/25/2000 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
> >David Douglas Duncan was very clear
> >that he switched to Nikon lenses because their sharpness blew him away,
> >and he got other Korean War photographers to do the same thing for the
> >same reason. The superior sharpness of Nikon lenses was what established
> >the company in America. This is a part of the historical record. You're
> >grafting current perceptions onto historical situations.
>
> Mike

They could also get new lenses, parts and service far more easily from Nikon,
not to mention the proximity of Japan and the Korean peninsula. I vaguely
remember Nikon went to the photographers with their lenses and were
practically giving them away, they were there to repair or replace them.  I
think the won over the press guys with service as much as anything else.
John