Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Winding Again, (was BASic question)
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:40:12 -0700

I am not quite sure what you are referring to in the last sentence. One of
the big problems loading the M4/6 (OK, and M2R) cameras is that everyone
thinks the three pronged take-up spool is what pulls the film along, not so.
The toothed sprocket wheel (open camera back and look in the small "window"
to the right of shutter) engages in the holes in the film and pulls it
along. A misload occurs when the film holes are not aligned properly with
the sprocket wheel's teeth. This is most often caused by a crimp in the film
catching on the film gate's upper edge. The film is jammed between the film
positioning disc ( the funny wheel on the baseplate) and the film gate. A
funny grinding noise results (sprocket teeth rubbing on the film and/or film
leader tip flapping in the take-up spool). The take-up spool is on a simple
friction clutch and will not pull misaligned film. Try it yourself. Remove
the baseplate and gently rotate the three pronged take-up spool. The key to
proper loads is not the pronged take-up spool but how the film lies in the
film guides/gate. After a little practise it comes easy. If this is not the
answer to your question, ask again.

John Collier