Subject: RE: [Leica] Summicron 50 hood
From: Byron Rakitzis <leica@rakitzis.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:26:40 -0800

AStewart@gigaweb.com wrote:

>Why do you prefer a different hood? The one that you have works almost
>perfectly. The previous, metal version (same shape) is more robust. If you
>like the look of the square hood, use it, (you might have to remove the
>small alignmnet tabs), but beware that it is less functional than what you
>have.

I've used both the metal and plastic hoods for the 50 summicron. The
reason I have both is that I dropped my M6 and bent the metal shade out
of shape far enough where it cannot be reversed in the "lens cap position"
any more.

I doubt this would have happened with the plastic hood, which since then
has also served as something of a bumper for my M6.

In any case, I wonder how easy it would be to fit a 2:1 rectangular hood
since there is no tab on the lens to center the fit, as there is on the
35mm summicron.

Byron.