Subject: [Leica] S3 war
From: Gary Klein <leicaman_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:59:50 -0600

Having examined an S3 very carefully and have compared it with my Leica M42
system, Nikon did not evolve the bodies as Leica did with their M
series.  When I looked at the example I was lent, I thought it was not up
to the finish and feel of my Leica without question.  The lens for this
camera that I looked at was the  50mm f1.4.  It seemed to be a nice lens
with good qualities, but it didn't give me confidence as my Leica M
does.  This coming from a guy who has a lot of Nikon F manual focus stuff.

I think Nixon concentrated their efforts on the SLR line as they did create
a great product in their F series.  Now they weren't perfect and have
produced some real bonehead gear (how about the uncoated 43~86 original
zoom, the original mush master and the Nikkormats before the FT2 which had
among the hardest ever to set ISO dials.  The back coming off stuff for
outfit to load and that never seemed to phase me.

Look at their rangefinder gear, they even produced a half frame machine in
the S series later than Leica even tried in the middle fifties.  They too
realized that 1/2 frame was not popular enough to support production.  I
think the only company that did 1/2 frame right was Olympus with their pen
f series of cameras.  A professional friend of mine had me scan a ton of
his negatives and slides made on the Pen F he had and it was remarkable how
nice the stuff scans.  Of course it was slightly grainier, but the
definition was good.

gck

I do think it is interesting that Nixon is reproducing the S3, of which
will no doubt be produced in a hand made fashion much as the originals
were.  But lets be realistic, if you wanted to use a rangefinder camera for
professional photography, I think the Leica M6 would be the logical choice
as they have a system.  Most excellent up to date lenses and
accessories.  My M gets weekly if not nearly daily usage.  In my view its
really the only viable modern rangefinder system extant.