Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger height and enlarging lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 23:45:24 -0800

Mike Johnston wrote:
><Snip>
> Kip,
> The idea that you should use a longer-than-normal focal length for any
> format is an old wives' tale.* It hasn't been remotely valid for thirty
> years or more, and certainly isn't today. The best performance will
> almost always be achieved with a lens designed for the format you're
> enlarging. Stick to 50mm lenses for 35mm.
>
> It's also worth noting that virtually no "wide angle" lens for 35mm
> format tests as well as similar lenses of 50mm focal length. This
> includes the 45mm Schneider and the 40mm Leitz.
>
> --Mike
>
> * Figure of speech only. No slur intended against old wives or any of
> the gentlemen married to them.

Fred Picker taught his popular cult the necessary advantages of going up one
format on enlarging lenses but I never got his book or bought his print of the
white picket fence. I'm not a follower period. He would push the Schneiders 90's
on his unsuspecting  35mm worshipers and I'm sure they did  more than OK with them.
My first enlarger that I did any real work with was a Beseler 5x7 coldlight. The
motorized head would not go low enough to use my dirty 50mm Componon for my 6x9
full frame black border images I would always made on 8x10 paper. (and still do)
A 6 x enlargement roughly. So I used a 75 mm Componar then an 85 Nikor for most
of my work. Then I got a D2 with a cold light and a 50 2.8 Nikkor but my 4
bladed Saunders easel would almost hit my enlarging lens every time I opened it
and I would get a crick in my neck in the whole printing process. Advil in advance!
I tested my 50 against my 80 on a neg making matched prints but the only
difference was my neck.
I agree the "wide angle" enlarging lenes are a problem and the reason being
corner quality but corner quality could also be an issue with a 50 even a high
end 50. And that for some people like the Pickerites could be why they would use
and 80 or a 90. But I could not tell much of a difference as I said with my 50
against my 80. But I stop down one and I'm at f8 that kind of bums me out!!!
And Fred Picker ain't no old wife and neither am I!!! I don't think there is a
resolution problem as I could see none with in my prints (using various
magnifiers closely inspecting the grain).
I think grain magnifiers are deceptive in what they tell you I always decide
from the grain in a dried print.
So there!!
Mark Rabiner
I make 7x7" images on 8x10 paper from medium format squre negs with my 135
Nikkor! What a deal! Same money on Chiropractic work!