Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger height and enlarging lenses
From: "rlb" <rlb@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:46:15 -0800

Thanks....I certainly trust your evaluation more than Johnston's.  I have
run many enlarging lens tests and presented prints to the photo group and
the only difference I can see is that there appears to be a "bit" more
information in the shadows with the Focotars.  It was amazing that almost
everyone chose the Focotar prints and they didn't know which lens was used.
That amazed me.

Most of my prints are made at F11 or F16.  I am going to back down from this
and start printing at F8 or less just to see.  I use the very expensive Peak
grain focuser and I am going to look at the grain at different f stops to
see if I can tell a difference.

I purchased a 50mm Componon S off of a guy on Ebay but the F ring woulndn't
open to F2.8 and I sent it back to him.  I should get it back repaired this
week.  As you know I am a Schneider freak and everyone seems to praise them.
Wish it was an 80mm.

I have had the same problem as you with the Saunders easel not opening at
certain magnifications.   Saunders makes a focusing extender which I
purchased for very hi-mag prints.  My arms are too damn short to focus
without it on some prints.

You state that grain focusers are deceptive.  Are you saying that you will
find that being in focus with the grain focuser often will result in prints
that are out of focus?  I thought that was one of the reasons to stop down
the enlarger lens....depth of field.  Or, am I all wet?

Bob