Subject: RE: [Leica] ZS, BTZS
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 06:21:57 -0800

I disagree with Mike to a degree.... There are 2 parts of the Zone System:
Metering and film development.  Most heavy duty Zone users ( Zonies?) lock
the 2 together.  WIth roll film, unless you have different bodies for each
development compression or expansion, you will be lost.  Expensive and
reaslitically impractical.

However the Zone System has a wonderful learning curve to deal with placing
values of your subject in your final print.  This part is valuable to all
photographers.  Learning how and where to take the picture tonal values and
place them on the limited zonal range of film and paper.

Yes, I am a Zonie.    Yes I  use it with 35mm and 4x5.  Yes I use differing
parts or degrees  of it with each.  and finally, Yes, I feel it is very
important to know how your equipment works, and its limitations, including
film and paper.

Study and use the Zone system, your pictures will be better for it.

Frank

Hopefully, no one, at least not with their Leicas. The Zone System and
more sophisticated variants such as BTZS are really only sensible to use
with sheet film.

- --Mike Johnston