Subject: Re: [Leica] re racism, wildlife, firearms, AND THE SUMMARIT!
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:49:53 -0500

Javier-

Having been reading about several historical periods from about 2500 bce to
about 1600 ce, and I am amazed that carrying arms was almost a requirement
to survive. I suppose in our more civilized post-modern culture, that 4
million years of genetic fine tuning might be at odds with recent thoughts
of 'peace' and 'love' when our entire history has been one of blood and
testosterone soaked mayhem!
Sure- you are more apt to mouth off if you are assured that no one will do
anything about it! 'nuff o' that there!
TheSUMMARIT! I have one of the m models with the 'groove' which I think was
for the bayonet type filter- the hood simply slips on the fron and tightens
with a clamp and screw. I also have a threaded screw in filter on mine (nyah
nyah nyah nyah nyah!) but simply because I heard the front coating was very
delicate, and this one is pristine as far as I can see!
It is chrome, and heavier than the Summilux I have, but when stopped down to
f2 and beyond, I cannot distinguish the shots from the 'lux. Of course, I am
using HP5 and Delta 400 in Rodinal, so maybe I am missing something, but for
my style- it works.
Since it is an M mount, I am sure it is of the later group, but I find it a
rather decent lens, and if you can't manage to rustle up a Summilux (even
used, they are about 800-900 USD), it is not too bad an alternative!
I had Sherry clean and collimate mine, and despite what the nay-sayers might
intimate, it is a fine lens.

Dan (Who never Met a Leica Lens He Didn't Like) Post