Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Migrant Mother sighted--and P.O.'d
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:06:30 EST

The migrant mother image, and many of the FSA photographer's work are public
domain, and I believe you can but prints from the Library of Congress. When I
worked in DC you could buy certain prints in the Library's shop for under
$20.00. There have been books produced from Ansel Adam's work done while
working on a Federal grant.

The author, Peter Wright, found the material while looking through the print
collection in the Library.

One was  about an internee camp for Japanese Americans detained during WWII,
and another of landscapes. I'd provide the titles, but I've just moved my
studio, and they're still boxed up.

When the books were produced in the eighties, the Adams trust got up in arms
about it, but since they were shot on government contract, they were public
domain. The reproduction in the books was way below the official Adams
publications. Most of the photos were from copy negs of original prints.

Scott Stewart