Subject: Re: [Leica] More on enlarging lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:01:53 -0800

Alex Brattell wrote:

> Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net> wrote;
> >Similarly, if the sharpest aerial grain image DIFFERS from "the sharpest
> >grain in the print," you've got a problem in your technique somewhere.
> >Or you're not focusing using white light, which you always should do.
>
> And Ed wrote
> >Ctein has written about this "focus shift" problem with certain VC papers in
> >C&D and PhotoTechniques and it sure surprises a lot of folks when they check
> >their own set-up. His findings make a mockery of the old stand-by of placing
> >a sheet of paper under the focus finder to help focus correctly.
>
> I remember Gene Nocon saying (in a talk he gave years ago) that you should
> focus with the intended filtration in (if using VC papers) - red shift at 1
> metre??. Why would  you focus with white light and not put a piece of paper
> under the focus finder? I am confused by both of the above - please expand!
>
> Also, what do you think the best lo-tech way is to align an enlarger, or do
> I have to buy a laser guided gizmo? I have tried to align my De Vere 504
> with nothing but spirit levels, spanner/wrench and a Camembert at room
> temperature, but have never trusted the result - corners can be dodgy on
> 35mm but not so much with other formats. Mike, you might be spot on in my
> case about the neg carrier (even though it is glass).
>
> All the best
> Alex

I sent back my Zig-Align this morning federal express one day it fell apart
Saturday night the glue did not hold...the weak link in a 300 dollar unit.
But I sure had fun playing with it in the last two weeks! I spent an hour with
the guy on the phone. When you call there the Zig fellow or his wife answer and
give great feedback. (650) 324-3704
Disappointing that glue would be used to connect two machined parts but perhaps
there was no other way.
We'll see how fast I get back in the saddle again with this stuff.
IF you have an Omega D2 or 3 enlarger you definitely want the Neg-align from them!
First they send you the brochures and then you call back and get more feedback
on which gizmos's to get.
I blew 500 bucks on their system. But you pick your own system. Not compatible
with Schneider lenses.
If I'm back up and running in two seconds flat I'll still be happy with the
whole thing. Mixed feelings now of course.
This was supposed to me 11x14 warm paper week for Mark! It's always something.
Mark Rabiner