Subject: [Leica] Gene Smith - Shadow & Substance
From: Mitch Alland <malland@mac.com>
Date: 29 Feb 2000 05:59:26 -0500

"Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com> wrote:

>Photographers Place # is 212 431-9358 (fx: 941-7920). BTW, don't expect
>friendly Amazon service... they are often very New York, but
>have a great selection.

Actually they're a bunch of twits and quite unpleasant. My last experience --  and I mean LAST -- was that they made a big fuss when my 85-year old father, who was with me asked whether they had a chair for him to sit down. Also, they made a big fuss (sarcastic remarks, etc.) when I bought a book and wanted to return it the next day. This is not a New York phenomenon; just this store which I won't visit again.

The book was the great, big door-stooper by Jean-Loup Sieff. I had bought it quickly, without looking at it carefully, because they wouldn't get my father a chair. That evening, when I looked at the book, I found the photographs boring and contrived and the text inanane and offfensive. For example, Sieff writes, "some women's bums are only good for shitting."

BTW, when in New York, make sure to visit the Museaum of Modern Art bookstore; it has a great collection of photographic books.

- --Mitch