Subject: Re: [Leica] R help
From: "Doug Herr" <Dherr@energy.state.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:08:27 -0800

Jim Long wrote:

If I want to get a used Leica R, what models would you recommend?  I want
something I can control manually.  Aren't there some R4 models or versions
to stay away from?  How many cam lenses go to the R4 models?
<<<

The early R4 models should be avoided.  Early R3 production was very buggy, but the problems appeared right away and any R3 that is working now is likely to be reliable.

All R bodies can be used manually, even where automatic functions are available, but some are more suited to manual use than others.  The R4s is reliable but doesn't show the shutter speed in the viewfinder in manual mode.  Since the R4s manual metering consists of a diode next to the meter's recommended shutter speed I consider the omission of the shutter speed in the viewfinder a flaw.  For a mechanical, manual-only camera consider the R6 or R6.2.  These will be more expensive than a good used R3 or R4sP.  Use 3-cam, 3rd-cam or ROM lenses with any R-body from R3 through R8.  My personal favorite is the Leicaflex SL, which uses 2-cam and most 3-cam lenses.

Doug Herr
Sacramento