Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R help
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:22:44 +0000

Mikiro wrote:

> I agree with you two.  SL has the brightest veiwfinder among the whole Leica
> SLRs.  I assume that its brightness is a result of high quality silvering on
> the prism rather than a character of the screen.  As far as I remeber, the
> only non-Leica body that can rival it is a Contax S2/S2b.  I would also
> point out high magnification of the SL viewfinder.  R8 has much lower
> magnification probabaly because of the need to provide information outside
> the screen with full view of it.  Unfortunately, I do not expect a
> possibility that we will enjoy bright and high-mag viewfinders in future SLR
> bodies.  They will be further optimised for information centres with
> intervention by liquid crystal membranes or even with liquid crystal
> monitors.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mikiro
> Strasbourg, Europe
> http://arbos.silva.net
If my dim old memory serves me correctly the SL's focusing screan is not
ground glass but a micro grid of very fine micro prisms. To test my memory I
looked at the chapter on the SL in my Leica manual.  Quoting my 1973 Leica
manual. " The central 7mm diameter spot that is used both for metering and for
rapid focus is made of of relatively coarse micro square microprisms, in which
the image appears to 'snap' in and out of focus.  The rest of the scree,
although ti looks like ground glass, consists of much smaller microprisms."
John