Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 06:37:42 +0000

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> john wrote:
> >
> > Mark Rabiner wrote:
> > >

> > > Mystery John:
> > > With such hair splitting trivial differences between the Leica M and Contax G
> > > systems and lack of that ultimate convenience of zooming we wonder why you
> > > bother with the Leica's at all! They cost a lot of money and they don't zoom!
> > > Why not just sell them and get on the Contax list?
> > > Mark Rabiner
> > My MY are we being testy.  The differences in lens performance between fine
> > performing lenses is, in real world photography, hairsplitting.  There are so
> > many factors in the chain from seeing an image, photographing the image,
> > developing and enlarging the negative and printing the image on photo
> > sensitive paper that affect sharpness and contrast far more than the
> > differences in the performances of the lenses in question that it becomes an
> > irrelevancy.  All these feel good "my leica is better than your whatever"
> > sound like just so much justification for having spent so much money on our
> > equipment.  WE DO NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY LOVING AND USING LEICAS. Leicas are not
> > jealous cameras, they don't mind at all being used alongside other cameras. We
> > Leica lovers don't need to put down the competition based on differences in
> > performance between lens systems that are both recognized as being excellent,
> > we would still love our Leicas what ever the competition. Why, because they
> > suite us, they feel right in our hands, they handle in a familiar and friendly
> > way, their viewfinders are comfortable to use, and they are made very well indeed.
> >
> > I have been using Leicas since 1957 or so. In my time, I have owned and used,
> > lllg, lllf. lllc. M3,M4, M4-2, M2, CL, XL, R4, R4s, and many or these I have
> > owned and used several of over the course of years.  One CL I owned twice. I
> > will continue to use and enjoy using Leicas in the foreseeable future. I am
> > very comfortable with my fondness for Leicas and do not need to justify my
> > liking and using them with lens performance charts and reliability tests,
> > other than to know the equipment I am using will perform far beyond my
> > photographic needs and abilities. Some of you obviously know more Leica
> > history, lore, and fantasy, as well as Leica nuts and bolts, than I, but my
> > credentials as a Leica user and lover are in order. I can find nowhere in the
> > FAQ for this list that I must bash non Leica cameras and lenses to continue
> > reading, contributing, and enjoying this list and I do intend to do just that.
> > Do you have a problem with that?
> >
> > I am not defending the Contax G2 as being a superior rangefinder camera, it is
> > not a range finder camera, it is an outo-focus camera with a manual
> > rangefinder capability. Comparing Leica Ms and Contax Gs is like comparing
> > apples and cheese. I am saying that I like my G2 and will continue to use it.
> > There I some times I prefer using it to my Leicas. There are some features the
> [...]
YOu have lumped together several posts which were in response to specific
criticisms. The first concerned the viewfinders, I explained why I sometimes
like one over the other. The liking or not of the viewfinder is subjective.
The second concerned a rather dubious comparison of the much larger selection
of Leica lenses with the contax lenses rather than a lens to lens comparison.
The poster delighted in pointing out what Leach had and Contax didn't, I
merely pointed out what the Contax offered that Leach did not. You seem to
think that if I do not agree with you or somehow I think other camera systems
have something worthwhile to offer me, or that I think that there are features
I would like available in Leach cameras you do not want, I have committed some
great sin.  This is not the first time it has been suggested that I sell my
Leicas because I dare to disagree.
I am John Shick and I live in the Greater Boston area, the e-mail address
listed above is real and working. I repeat I use and like using several
different 35mm camera systems, as well as medium format and digital.  How this
disqualifies me from participating here I cannot guess.
John