Subject: [Leica] Re: Solutions for avoiding newton rings
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 14:27:12 -0800

Newton rings are caused by imperfect contact by part of the film with
glass. Film with more curl are more prone to newton rings. Current humidity
also is a factor as to the severity of the problem.

One solution is, of course, to eliminate all contact between film and
glass. This is why glassless neg carriers are so popular.

Many years ago (1950's) Kodak recommended rubbing the glass (that which has
contact with the film) with fine (00) pumice powder using cotton. This
basically makes the surface layer of the glass, less "glazed" so that the
type of film/glass contact, producing newton rings, does not take place.
The use of 00 pumice powder makes no humanly observable difference. But it
makes a difference in how the film base and glass get along.

Jim