Subject: Re: [Leica] Strap stress
From: "steve lehuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 17:44:46 -0500

Well, maybe we are--but then--maybe we're not. Come to think of it I have
been thinking for some time now about asking Dr. LUGER about the possibility
of offending peoples sensibilties by using camera straps as suspenders. I
have actually had a guilt complex about this for 20 years now ever since I
arrived in Annapolis from the islands on my boat after a three year sojourn
as a boat bum. And when I walked ashore certainly I looked like a bum,
actually more like Robinson Carusoe, except that my cut-off, ripped Khakis
(Annapolis has always been a kahki kind of town, in fact this is where
Dockers got the idea that this was a very trendy thing) well anyway I had
lost so much weight that my khakis would'nt stay up so I took my two Nikon
camera straps (I did'nt know Leica from Loktite then) and fashioned a pair
of suspenders out of them. So I walked around town like that for a couple
weeks feeling very salty with my ripped up clothes and the black straps
saying in gold lettering saying NIKON  until one day some trendy looking
dude with two Canon (I did'nt know Canon from Carnation in those days),
anyway, he had these two Canon's each with humongous zoom lenses on them. So
this kool dude stops me and asks "where can I get suspenders like that? Well
I thought about it for a minute and then I made up this lie about having
been in Hong Kong and having them custom made and with the NIKON part in
gold leaf. Well he got all excited wanting to know the address of the Hong
Kong company where he could get some made. So, I told him another big lie,
that the owner of the company had retired and did not make them anymore,
but, I would sell them to him if he also bought my two Nikons. Well, he
jumped at the chance. So after giving him my two trusty Nikons along with
the 'suspenders' and getting his cash I went out and bought a new pair of
khakis. So Dr. LUGER, this has been bothering me all these years. Do you
think I did the right thing?
Steve
Annapolis