Subject: [Leica] Super-achromat
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:39:53 +0100

Mark Rabiner referred to the Zeiss Super-Achromat and  said that Apo
is not a hype. I did not say that apochromatic correction is a hype.
When the apochromatic error is indeed reduced in a design, lens
quality improves and the level of improvement depends on many things.
I noted that press and  PR people have used the designation 'Apo"
without inquiring after the optical facts behind the concept and so
made it a mythical and mystical property of lenses. In my view it
makes no sense to copy and rephrase pieces of information if you are
not able to understand and explain what it is that is being
discussed. On this list we often find citations from and references
to all kinds of sources, from "anonymous,but reliable individuals",
leaflets issued by manufacturers, magazine articles, and named
individuals. This recycling of information presents a major problem
as it generates much noise. It is part of human nature that we tend
to believe the story we hear most often from several sources. But
often a careful search for sources will tell you that often people
are just playing copycat. Fact-based independent research is really a
scarce commodity, and has always been. Some examples. About B&W
processing much is being discussed and proposed and presented as
fact. Well most of this cannot stand the test of a scientific
analysis. The only person who ever conducted a large scale scientific
research project on all aspects of B&W processing is Richard Henry in
his book:"Controls in Black and White Photography". This is truly
research and factfinding of the highest level, and from my mouth that
is praise indeed. But I never have seen any reference to this book.
What I do see is that much of the information about B&WPprocessing
contradicts his findings. Guess who I believe.
This book is a model of carefully conducted research, theory exposure
and  explanation. It should be inspiration for anyone who would like
to go beyond the mere personal experience.
The Nikon-Leica controversy as triggered by the Duncan story.
Avoiding the political and sensitive issues, the basic question is:
were the Nikon lenses then better (please define"better") than
contemporary lenses from Leica or Zeiss. Much discussion followed,
none conclusive. The simple act of testing these lenses would have
solved the issue. So that is what I am going to do.  Next week there
is a major Nikon gathering in Rotterdam (Tom A will be there too) and
I will ask some collectors to lend me the DDD lenses. I will then
test them according to my normal procedure and that at least would
give me any reliable info.
Last example: the wellknown and often discussed  issue of the
plasticity and 3-D impression of Leica lenses.  A Leica broschure
from 1936 on page 8 notes this effect when discussing the Summar and
from then on we can trace this statement through literature,
including many of the books about Leica. Any facts or pictorial
demonstrations are not available. Again I am conducting a series of
tests to see what this statement is worth. The broschures can be
found on my CD, btw.
All these tests are time consuming and laborious and maybe it is more
fun just to continue with the more pleasant  part of photographic
lore.
Now at last: a super-achromat is corrected for more than four
wavelengths, (black is not a color ar a wavelength):
(from blue to infrared) 435 nanometer, 514nm, 643nm, 714nm and 900nm.
The normal panfilm has a sensitivity range from 350 to 680, IR films
go from 350 to 900.

Erwin