Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:30:10 -0600

Wow, I can barely see the 35mm frame line and I have to work to do that.
Another poster also pointed out I shouldn't speak for all spectical wearers, I
yield, I cannot speak for you all.  I do have several friends who wear glasses
and use Leicas and have trouble seeing the wider framelines so I can speak at
least for them.  I would trade a little camera height to have a bigger
viewfinder so I could see all the frame.
<<<<<<<<<<

I remember the first time I put an M6 (.72 version) up to my
eyeglasses-covered eye. I thought, oh that 28 mm frameline isn't so bad.
Sure, it's right at the edge of what I can see and I have to shift my eye a
smidge, but it's useable.

I then found out that was the 35 mm frameline. The 28 mm frameline, to me,
is nonexistent.

I find the Contax G2 viewfinder superior with the 28 mm lens (better to see
the whole image small than to not see much of the image at all) and 90 mm
lens (bigger image than with either magnification of the M6). Also with the
21 mm lens (autofocus eliminates the need to shift my eye between two
portals). The M6's viewfinder I find to be the better one with 35 mm and
45/50 mm lenses. And with lenses faster than f2 and with 24, 75 and 135 mm
lenses (which, of course, don't exist in the Contax G system). Each system
has its strengths and weaknesses.

Larry