Subject: [Leica] eBay--fact or fiction!
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:35:27 +0000

>>>Which now that I think about it is what HAS happened to both pawn
shops and ebay. But, as always, there  are still bargains to be had.
They just don't fall off trees and hit you on the head<<<

Bob,
True. One thing is that you have to look around, because sometimes
bargains are bargains because the seller has mislabeled the item and
potential purchasers aren't finding the auction. For instance, I bought
an old screwmount lens for $72 that usually sells for $125-$130  because
the seller neglected to put "screwmount" or "screw mount" or "thread
mount" or "LTM" or "SM" in the item title or description. Anybody
searching for Canon lenses was probably looking for bayonet mount
lenses; anybody searching for screwmount lenses would most likely have
missed this. It got only a couple of bids.

It amazes me that eBay sellers don't take more care in titling their
items for sale, given that this is exactly how potential buyers will be
searching for the items. (Hint: every now and then, search "Lieca" or
other misspellings. It doesn't always work, but sometimes you'll be
surprised.)

- --Mike