Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica prices
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:33:12 -0500

> and a used Hasselblad 500 C/M which I "rented"
> from Don Chatterton for a short amount of time and a usurious amount of
> money (I bought it from him for a high price and sold it back to him a
> few months later for an absurdly low price. That was the last time I
> dealt with him, come to think of it).

For both Leica and Hasselblad gear, one should not lose much, if any, at
all if you buy right.  Of course, you won't get your money back if you buy
from overpriced used dealers (such as the one you have mentioned).  I can't
imagine who WOULD buy from them if they new better, and I can't imagine how
they stay in business with the prices they charge (slight rant ;-)

Personally, I use KEH as the benchmark for used pricing.  I typically pay
at least %10 less than KEH buying from an individual.  I'd rather buy from
KEH than pay the same from an individual.  At least with KEH, they will
take it back, no questions asked, if I don't like it, and it comes with a
warranty.