Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica M6 AE
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:59:14 -0500

Hi,

If you have specific details, I would appreciate them.  I am specifically
talking about the standard M6 NON-TTL metering system.  The issues involved
are not more complex than I can 'imagine'.  If you have a component list,
I'd even love to see that, or even a good photograph of the flex-circuits.
 It's hardly top secret, since one could just take a camera apart and make
the list for them self, and even reverse engineer the schematic, unless
they decided to re-mark the ICs.  Even if they did that, it's still not
that tough.

I find it hard to believe a simple meter system was designed with any
exotic single sourced or custom ICs (and if it was, it shouldn't have
been).  The meter system has four inputs, plus power.  Shutter button
depressed, shutter speed dial, film speed dial, and the light sensor.  It's
got two outputs, two LEDs.  I assume the aperture is taken into account by
the light sensor.  It doesn't even have a low battery indicator.  Depending
on the characteristics of the sensor electronics, they may have done some
temperature compensation circuitry...not rocket science.

Austin