Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V16 #5
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 03:18:53 -0500

>>>Personally, I use KEH as the benchmark for used pricing.  I typically
pay  at least %10 less than KEH buying from an individual.  I'd rather
buy from KEH than pay the same from an individual.  At least with KEH,
they will take it back, no questions asked, if I don't like it, and it
comes with a warranty.<<<

> Austin,
> Jeez, I don't even LOOK at KEH any more. Their prices are often just
> slightly off new prices! In fact I think they drive the whole used
> market up unrealistically high, because their prices are so ridiculous
> and other dealers use them as a benchmark. I've actually seen used items
> (in this case an old Olympus lens) listed for MORE than the best NEW
> price I found.

[Austin] I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  Hasselblad 110/2
lense for $1200 in LN condition....everyone else was $400+ higher, and this
was right in line with eBay prices.  Summilux 75/1.4 for $1500 w/ box, as
new, latest version.  For what I am looking for, they have been excellent.
 I have never seen a used item on KEH (and I have used them for at least 5
years) be near, or even close to more than new.  I have seen things on eBay
go for more than KEH, which, in my book, IS ridiculous.  Why pay more for
the same item from some guy you don't know.  KEH offers a NQA (no questions
asked) return policy, and gives a warranty.  As true in most of life, if
you don't do your homework, you get what you deserve.