Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Horror Stories
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:04:57 -0000

There's a famous story of a US jet pilot in a Phantom 25,000 feet above the
Arizona(?) desert having to eject. A photographic sortie with another
Phantom had gone horribly wrong and in the process of ejection his SL2 Mot
fell out and eventually landed on the ground. Eventually, the camera was
found and it was remarkably together, hardly a bruise on it. I can't recall
if it was working but it looked as if it could have done.

A famous Leica photographer (I forget which one) was photographing the honey
collectors in North India, I believe, and dropped his 80mm Summilux-R onto
the jungle floor some 100 feet below his precarious position dangling from a
vine rope. The bees build their hives under cliff overhangs and the only way
of reaching them is by dangling on a thread. Needless to say, the lens was
recovered and pressed back into service, battered but useable.

Jem