Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading LTM and Sailing
From: "steve lehuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:47:11 -0500

John,
This is almost silly that I am so confident about this particular point I
must sound arrogant, which I am not. But, I have to tell you that I really
became very facinated with the Leica LTM cameras from books and from LTM
owners here on the LUG. I knew when the chance came I would get one and last
November while browsing at PENN Camera in DC they had one, which after
refusing to leave until they took my $800 offer I had one which included a
135mm Hector. I ordered a 50mm Summitar the same day from Sam Soshan. Then
the 111G sat on my kitchen table for a week before I built up the courage to
try and load it. The whole strategy was slow and easy. So after easing the
spool and cassette into the body I gently wiggled the film advance until I
could feel that it had caught, I then slowly advanced it one frame and then
took the slack out of the cassette and advanced it 2 more frames. Mopped my
brow, phew, that was'nt so bad. Since then the dozen or so rolls has been
the same story. But I am going to try trimming the leader and see what
happens. BTW I love the look that the Summitar gives.
Steve
Annapolis

- ----------
>From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
>To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading LTM and Sailing
>Date: Fri, Mar 3, 2000, 2:03 PM
>

> Steve,
>
> I too am quite light on equipment so I understand what you mean. However,
> every now and then, The "Hand Of G**" strikes me down and I have learned to
> take all reasonable precautions. I know that you must have prepared and
> maintained your boats carefully and I am the same way with my cars. If you
> do what should be done then, surprisingly to some people, everything goes
> well. I think of the leader trimming advice as this kind of prep.
>
> John Collier
>
>> From: "steve lehuray" <icommag@toad.net>
>>
>> John,
>> I did not wish to sound arrogant but loading my 111G so far has been very
>> trouble free the way I have been doing without trimming the leader anymore
>> than it already is. I might add that I have all my life had a very delicate
>> touch with mechanical things and I don't break things: formula race cars,
>> many years and thousands of laps with very rare breakage; ocean single
>> handed sailing, thousands of miles in the Atlantic in all kinds of weather
>> and nothing has ever broken; my Nikons, have never seen service; my MAC
>> always boots up. So, with all due respect to you and Marc and Sherry some
>> people are born klutzes and some are blessed with the 'touch'. Loading a
>> Leica LTM could be tricky but if I were to 'feel' something amiss I would
>> stop and try a different way. I suspect that the 4" trim rule came from
>> Leitz antiquity where a Leica 'born klutz' engineer probably had fat
>> fingers.
>> Steve
>> Annapolis
>>
>> ----------
>>> From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
>>> To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading LTM
>>> Date: Fri, Mar 3, 2000, 10:12 AM
>>>

>>> I know how Marc and Sherry feel. An expert just cannot get any respect in
>>> their hometown. Many times I have told my customers to do (or not to do)
>>> something and they have given me that laughing, knowing smile. I wish I
>>> could say they were as cheerful later on. I glad to hear that you have had
>>> the camera so long that you can disregard advice from people who have
>>> decades of experience and are trying to do you a favour!
>>>
>>> John Collier

Nikons