Subject: Re: [Leica] Using the R8 meter
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 15:50:42 -0500

Gerry: I too use the 8 and will have to look into the "T"  set up as you
mention. If my mind is working correct when in that situation my 8 gives an
under exposure warning but does not switch to the slow speed. My suggestion is
that if you don't want under 1/250 then I'd shoot manual and mind the f stop
ring.

As to the hole next to the tripod bushing, this is for the use of anti twist
brackets that would have a pin that will mount into that hole keeping your 8
from twisting on a tripod on when your using it with a flash bracket. This is
really a wonderful little detail, as you will never screw those items tightly
enough to keep the camera from twisting.
Cheers Wilber GFE
tel. 803-469-2440

http://www.jeffcoatphotography.com

Gerry Walden wrote:

> Having just acquired my R8, I am having a bit of a problem with its metering
> modes.   I am OK on program, aperture priority, manual and flash modes but I
> am having problems with the 'T' setting.   My understanding is that this
> enables you to lock a particular shutter speed and let aperture look after
> its self.   I have noted that I need to set the lens at its smallest
> aperture (e.g f22) and most of the time all is OK but it would seem that if
> the light gets difficult then the camera will decide of its own volition to
> set a lower shutter speed rather than give me a warning.   Am I doing
> something wrong or is this the way it should be.   If so, what do I do if I
> am using maybe a longer lens and want to be sure that the speed does not
> drop below 1/200?
>
> Also, next to the tripod mounting bush is another similar hole labelled in
> the manual as 'Rotation Safety'.   Any idea what this is for?
>
> Thanks for the good advise I know I will get here.   BTW, I have just got
> the first roll back with test shots using the flash metering (with a Vivitar
> 283) and it is incredibly accurate.
>
> Gerry

- --