Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: 35/1.4 ASPH vs Noct
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:12:01 -0600

At 05:16 PM 05/03/2000 -0800, drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:
>I have no concerns regarding the 35/1.4 ASPH. Except that I wonder how much
>better it might perform than my 50/1.4 Summilux. Has anyone used both and
>how do the two compare in practice?

Trying to answer this question is surely like walking into the LUG snakepit
- - unarmed of course;)  No matter what anyone says someone will be bound to
disagree.
Having said that ...

These two are my workhorse lenses, along with the 75 'lux.  The 35/1.4 ASPH
is an amazing lens.  Images are sharp and contrasty.  For many it (or its
35/2.0 ASPH cousin) is likely the ideal lens, and the ideal focal length
for a Leica.  It is so versatile and its image quality is oh so sweet.  You
will find many uses for this lens, and the picture quality is dazzling.

The 35 and 50mm lenses you mentioned compliment each other very well.  They
both accept filters of the same size.  Wide open, the 35 'lux ASPH performs
better than the 50 'lux.  The 50 is slightly soft at the edges, and
microcontrast drops off, until about f/2.8, but I like the look at 1.4 and
2.0, especially of candid portraits of people.

Don't give up the 50/1.4 Summilux for the Noctilux.  The Noctilux is more
specialized for low light use rather than as an all-purpose standard focal
length lens.  The Summilux is lighter and much more versatile.  It can save
your butt when the light level starts dropping, and it will hold up well
under normal use.  Eventually, if you decide that you really have to have a
Noctilux, you could sell the 'lux and get the Summicron for normal use, and
switch over to the Noctilux when you need it.  If you only plan to have one
50mm lens, the Summilux is a very good choice, especially if you would like
to do some available light photography along with other things.