Subject: [Leica] Re: size and weight of the Noctilux
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 11:53:30 -0000

drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:

>I'm concerned about the size of the Noctilux. One of the biggest
draws of
the Leica M is it's small size. I'm just not certain how much I'd use
lens that's three times the size of the 50/1.4 Summilux.

The Noctilux is big - and heavy. So it does make the M6 feel a bit
off-balance. That said, I find that its sheer weight acts as a
stabiliser, and lets me use slower shutter speeds with confidence. On
vacation last year I was regularly hand-holding 1/15sec  in churches
and cathedrals, and in most cases ended up with sharper images than
I've ever managed with lighter 50mm lenses.

The big question for any prospective Nocti purchaser is whether that
extra stop is worth the expense, bulk, and weight. My 50mm f1.5
Jupiter is a fraction of the weight of the bigger lens, and was 1/30
of the cost. I shoot slides, so don't have the range of high speed
emulsions available to the colour negative user. Otherwise, I'd have
loaded a second body with faster film, relied on the Jupiter, and
saved myself lots of money.

Regards,

Doug Richardson