Subject: [Leica] XXXing serial numbers
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:34:09 -0000

I have a vague feeling we've discussed this before on the LUG, but I
couldn't think of a good term with which to search the achives.

What is the logic behind some people substituting Xs for part of a
serial number when providing details of equipment? If one looks at Jim
Lager's books, there are many cameras and lenses shown with their
serial numbers fully visible, but in some books and magzine articles
the lens has been coyly turned to conceal its number, or in the text
the last digit or digits of serial numbers is XXed out. I seem to
recall that the LHSA requires members to give the full serial numbers
of equipment being offered for sale.

Regards,

Doug Richardson