Subject: RE: [Leica] Walker Evans, or Bigger IS Better
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:36:52 -0000

Presentation is an intriguing aspect of photography.....

A few years back when I had the good fortune to be able to hire Gene
Richards for a project at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, I went 'round and
'round with the designer, and Gene, over the size of the publication in
which we were using Gene's photos. The designer was of the "bigger is best"
school, and wanted to do an oversize publication...I came up with the idea
of trying to do some roughly Reader's Digest size...I argued that, in the
first place, it would be quite unusual for a medical facility to do a small
book like that, and therefore it would garner more attention. I also felt
that it would be better to be able to wrap your hands around the
images...Well, Gene also likes to see his images printed large, so we ended
up with an 11x something pub....Ironically, however, a couple of years later
a French publisher issued a collection of Gene's work - in a Reader's Digest
size format....ah well...

B. D.