Subject: [Leica] RE: Walker Evans, or Bigger IS Better
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:01:25 -0600

At 04:07 PM 07/03/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>>It's interesting how we seem to have gotten really hung up on the size of
>>photographic prints. I know I'm in a real minority, but I find that smaller
>>prints with a fair amount of white space around them really draw me
>>in...

Another thing that is difficult to decide is what dimensions and what
proportions to use.  It bothers me that North American paper sizes do not
have the same aspect ratio as the 35mm frame.  Personally, I do not like it
when I see an 11x14" print in a 16x20" frame.  The matt borders are not
uniform in size, and this is often visually distracting.  It also forces a
crop of the long size of the frame.
   As far as how much white space to leave around the print, I think it is
an important part of the presentation and a matter of personal artistic
style.  The images should determine how they are presented.